Sunday, December 14, 2008

Why I'm A Teacher

I had always wanted to be a teacher but somewhere along the way that dream faded and the dream of wanting to be a therapist took over.  In high school I had taken two psychology classes and absolutely fell in love.  It was the only course that I didn't ask myself if I would need to know the material in real life because everything we learned was about how we work as humans.  I love listening to people and my friends always come to me when they need help.  I was so excited that I had figured out what I wanted to do with my life.  But when I got to college and started taking psychology courses I found myself questioning this dream of mine.  Could I really make a good therapist?  Would I be able to help people?  And then a light bulb went off...I had fallen in love with psychology because of my high school teacher!!  He had made the material fun to learn and his lectures never seemed like lectures.  I realized then that I wanted to give this same feeling of excitement surrounding learning to my future students.  And over a tuna sandwich in the cafeteria I made the decision that would shape the rest of my life.  I wanted to be a teacher!!

No comments:

Followers