Monday, November 10, 2008

The Reason Why

Tonight's lecture accomplished what I feel the goal of these lectures was, understanding and appreciating a new perspective of teaching that can't be learned from any textbook.  What really caught my attention was what Mary Kay Lynch said regarding IEP's.
This semester I am also taking Diverse and Exceptional Learner.  A big aspect of the class is learning about IEP's and after being tested I thought I knew most about this part of teaching a special needs child.  But what Mary Kay said about dreading going to an IEP meeting and hearing another aspect of schooling her son can't do, shocked me.  The parents that I have talked to who have been part of an IEP never expressed this concern.  But now that she said that it makes sense, what an awful feeling it must be as a parent to continuously hear things your child is unable to do.  What Mary Kay suggested for us, as teachers, is starting out the meeting with positive things the child do.
No textbook that I read during this class or Diverse and Exceptional Learner included this part of an IEP.  And for that reason, I'm glad that the lecture tonight gave me a new insight on a part of teaching that every teacher is going to experience in their future.

1 comment:

joyfuleducator said...

Laura-
I completely agree with this! It was so great to hear honest feedback from parents about their expectations and experiences with teachers.

Followers